Financial Support

How to Pay for your Safe Room

Direct Financing:

Low cost safe room financing through Oklahoma Central Credit Union is available for all of Remagen’s residential shelters. Rates as low as 0.99% APR, no money down, and no prepayment penalties makes this financing offer a great option for those wanting to protect their family from nature’s most severe weather threats. Please contact us by filling out the contact form at the bottom of the page or by calling (888-397-7142) for information on how to apply.

Through your Mortgage:

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the Federal Housing Authority (FHA) encourage and facilitate the purchase of in-home storm safe rooms by permitting builders, homeowners and persons borrowing to build, remodel or purchase homes to obtain FHA-guaranteed loans (FHA 203(b) insured loans) for that purpose. Construction of the storm safe room may be the sole improvement. These loans are available from local lenders as mortgage loans for home purchase or improvement.

Authority: HUD Mortgagee Letter 00-04 – Click here to see the Mortgagee Letters. Note: shelter cost limits have been increased since 2000. Safe Room Requirements: To be eligible for FHA loans, safe rooms must meet the requirements of FEMA Publication 320, Performance Criteria for Tornado Shelters or the National Storm Shelter Association Standard for the Design, Construction, and Performance of Storm Shelters. (


Community Shelter Options

There are several grant programs in place to help municipalities and their departments (government agencies, county hospitals or schools, etc.) fund the construction of a new or retrofit community safe room. One of the most popular programs is FEMA’s Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP). If your project qualifies, Remagen can provide grant writing assistance.

Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) FAQs

The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) provides grants to States and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures after a major disaster declaration. The purpose of the HMGP is to reduce the loss of life and property due to natural disasters and to enable mitigation measures to be implemented during the immediate recovery from a disaster. The HMGP is authorized under Section 404 of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act.The Pre-Disaster Mitigation (PDM) program provides funds to states, territories, Indian tribal governments, communities, and universities for hazard mitigation planning and the implementation of mitigation projects prior to a disaster event. Funding these plans and projects reduces overall risks to the population and structures, while also reducing reliance on funding from actual disaster declarations. PDM grants are to be awarded on a competitive basis and without reference to state allocations, quotas, or other formula-based allocation of funds.
Hazard Mitigation Grant Guidance
grant programs provide funding for eligible mitigation activities that reduce disaster losses and protect life and property from future disaster damages including the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP), Pre-Disaster Mitigation (PDM), Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA), Repetitive Flood Claims (RFC), and Severe Repetitive Loss (SRL). Guidance for HMA applications submitted during the FY 2012 grant cycle and for disasters occurring on or after June 1, 2010.
Hazard Mitigation Grant Program funding is only available to applicants that reside within a Presidentially declared disaster area. Eligible applicants are state and local governments, Indian tribes or other tribal organizations and certain non-profit organizations. Individual homeowners and businesses may not apply directly to the program; however a community may apply on their behalf.
Following a disaster declaration, the State will advertise that HMGP funding is available to fund mitigation projects in the State. Those interested in applying to the HMGP should contact their local government to begin the application process. Local governments should contact their State Hazard Mitigation Officer. Grants funded by FEMA require proof by the applicant that the elevation of the storm shelter floor is above the flood elevation. Determination of the flood elevation should be coordinated with the local authority having jurisdiction such as a building department or emergency management agency.